Its my favorite time of year! The Christmas spirit is abounding, and I am about to becoming a baking MACHINE. Today I am sharing my family’s recipe for spiced nuts. I am quite sure that it will carry on for generations. Its a simple, delicious recipe. Any fool could make it, and you’d be a fool not to love it.
If you keep these nuts in an air tight container, they will last a while. I happen to think they make for a great gift. Last year I made spiced nuts and peppermint bark (coming up next!), putting each in a tin container. Then I gift the snack sets to family and friends. It was a huge hit!
An easy recipe with few ingredients will be the recipe for success this holiday season!
1 lb nuts, I prefer a mix of walnuts, pecans, and almonds
1 egg white, whisked
1 C sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
2. Mix nuts together in a large bowl.
3. Mix spiced sugar in a separate, smaller bowl.
4. Whisk egg white in a small bowl, until it appears frothy.
5. Pour egg white mixture over the nuts and mix thoroughly. Although it will not look especially tacky, I promise you one egg white is enough for the sugar mix to stick.
6. Pour spiced sugar mix over the nuts and mix thoroughly.
7. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and pour mixture onto baking sheet.
8. Cook for 1 hour, shaking the pan every 15 minutes to break up the pieces.
I cannot reiterate enough how much people love receiving this as a gift. They are longer lasting than cookies or other baked goods, but just as delicious. And something about spiced nuts just screams holiday cheer. Be sure to double your recipe so you don’t eat them all before giving away!
Hungry for more great recipes? Explore more Lawyer in the Kitchen!